Ryan Tandy: A Life In The Headlines

Embed from Getty Images

FORMER NRL player Ryan Tandy may have won a premiership with the Melbourne Storm but he spent the latter part of his career in the headlines:

2003 — Tandy made his NRL debut while at the St George Illawarra Dragons where he played three games for the club. In the same year he moved to the South Sydney Rabbitohs where he also made three appearances.

2007 — He signs a contract to play with English Super League side Hull KR where he played 12 games.

2008 — Tandy makes his way back to Australia to play for the Wests Tigers, making his debut against the Brisbane Broncos in Round 15. He played to NRL games at the Tigers.

He is also selected to play for Ireland in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.

2009 — Joins the Melbourne Storm and plays 16 games including in their grand final win over the Parramatta Eels. His medal was later stripped due to the salary cap scandal.

2010 — Becomes a Canterbury Bulldog mid-season and notches up 12 games for the club. In August he is embroiled in a betting scandal soon. Tandy attempted to make money off the first scoring play after betting on a Cowboys penalty goal as the ‘first points scored’. Tandy gave away possession and then committed a penalty to set up the situation.

February 2011 — Tandy is arrested for providing false evidence to a law enforcement agency during the investigation of the betting scandal

March 2011 — Bulldogs terminate Tandy’s contract following a show cause hearing before the board.

October 2011 — He is convicted of match fixing, fined $4000 and placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond. With the magistrate in the case saying it was a clear Tandy was involved in a plan to make money off the first scoring play of the game.

January 2012 — Tandy receives a six months non-custodial sentence — to be served in the community under an Intensive Correction Order for lying to the NSW Crime Commission during the matching fixing investigation.

In the same month, he is banned from rugby league after the NRL confirmed they will put life bans on match fixers.

October 2012 — Tandy returns to rugby league for French club Pia Donkeys despite calls from the Rugby League International Federation to cancel his registration.

January 2014 — Tandy is arrested and charged with detaining a person with intent to gain advantage. Tandy was allegedly a standover man involved in a joint kidnapping of a victim to recover a $4500 drug debt. Tandy and his counterparts allegedly drove the victim to the bank and forced him to withdraw the money.

In late January he is granted bail after five nights in jail for the incident.

April 11, 2014 — Tandy faced court over the charged but the hearing was adjourned.

Sam Alexander (In conjunction with Daily Telegraph reporters)

Article published on The Daily Telegraph website – http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/ryan-tandy-a-life-in-the-headlines-from-a-premiership-to-a-life-ban-from-rugby-league/story-fni3fbgz-1226898666446

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s